Wednesday, February 13, 2008

??@??

Yesterday I had gone to attend a family f(x) of my relatives which was held in Ghatkophar … It was the naming ceremony of the new born kid in the family.

I was totally under dressed as I was going for the f(x) directly from the Office. So was already skeptical if I would look out of the place at the f(x). But then I had no option but to go the way I was.

On the way kept looking for a shop where I could buy a gift for the new born. But couldn’t find one and moreover got busy over the phone while in the auto, so couldn’t keep the track of the shops that passed by…So finally decided to give a money envelope.

As soon as I reached the venue I was greeted with surprise from one of my cousins. He was totally shocked to see me there and the next question he asked was “Are you Ghanti or Banti”?

I went in, to meet the bhabhi, the mother of the new born baby and the met 1-2 more relatives. They too had the same question “Are you Ghanti or Banti”? It’s so funny that this is only what they remembered about me. Then went to see the kid and met his father, the bhaiya. And after that moment I started feeling very strange, because relatives I met were gone to welcome others before I could even realize that I have met them.

And everything looked so formal. I went around finding somebody I knew, but couldn’t spot any and felt like a total stranger. Sat on the sofa wondering what to do… Went to munch something as I was starving. But every step I was taking I felt bizarre and very weird. Was just not feeling the part of the f(x). Just not able to relate to people around.

Then suddenly saw a recognizable face, got excited but contemplated 1000 times before I could decide whether to go and say hi to him. But finally when I saw there was no one around him I went and asked “Aapne Mujhe Pehchana Kya” and his instant response was “Of course”. I was totally overwhelmed and surprisingly he knew what I was up to in life as such and didn’t ask the same stupid question “which one are you?”

Chatted with him for a very brief time, he took me to few people whom I already knew and had seen them around but was not at ease to go ahead and speak to them. There too the same query “Are you Ghanti or Banti?” I was like……uffffff….But that is what people remember, as have hardly been in touch with them for years to give them a different perspective about life, beyond the identity part.

But still was not feeling comfy, nothing could make me feel at the place. Went to eat some more food and then decided its better I make a move. Said bye to the uncle who had said “Of Course” and I was off in a flash….

On the exit gate, there was this servant who works at the relative’s place who recognized me, gave a smile…. And he too told the person sitting next to him, “Iske Jaisa Bilkul Ek Aur Hain”….

No comments: